Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Sugar Free Apple Pie

Well, this week in Texas we have had several days where the temperature didn't get above 95 and the evenings were finally cool enough to enjoy going for a walk. Which for this Hoosier girl who's used to MUCH cooler temperatures this time of year, makes me long for fall. I had to light a cinnamon candle and I got in the mood for apple pie. So I came up with a very simple recipe for some very yummy apple pie. It's definitely more tart than your typical apple pie, but since I love tart flavors, it works well for me.

Sugar Free Apple Pie
3 large apples that are crisp and tart, peeled and sliced into small pieces - I used Paula Reds, which I've never had before, but which were delicious!
2 T lemon juice sprinkled over the apples
2 1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t allspice
2 1/2 T unbleached white flour
2 1/2 Tablespoons apple juice concentrate

Combine all ingredients together and set aside.

Crust:
1 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c very cold butter
5-6 T of very cold water

Blend flour and butter with a pastry cutter until coarsely crumbled. Add water a few tablespoons at a time just until the crust begins to come together enough to form a ball. Place ball in the the fridge for 15 minutes. Then place it between two sheets of parchment paper and roll thin. Place the whole thing in the freezer for about 5 minutes. Then place the crust in a dish of your choice. I used a Pyrex round dish because I wanted my crust to fold over the apples. You could just use a regular pie dish and rather than trimming the edges around the dish, just fold the excess in over the top of your pie.

Once you have your crust in your dish, spoon the apple mixture in and bake at 425 for 25-30 minutes, or until the crust is done and the apples are soft. Top with a generous dollop of unsweetened whipped cream. Mmmmmm!

Benjamin sure enjoyed his pie!!!

1 comment:

ChristaD said...

Sharon,

I think that buying that size will work just fine. You are sooo thoughtful. I look forward to seeing you guys in the next month or so.