Sunday, January 25, 2009
Friday, January 23, 2009
I'm pretty sure I've officially set my own blogging record today. I think this one makes seven. But this video cracks me up. What was even funnier was just now watching Benjamin watch this video and mimic everything he was doing in the video. Then, he started saying things and looking expectantly at the computer screen as if he thought his video would copy him. He's so funny!
Benjamin loves this cabinet. He used to take all the pots and pans out and climb in it. Now he just climbs right in with everything and closes the door on himself. He waits for a while and then throws the door open and says "hi." It's SO cute. He didn't quite get into the dramatic "hi" in this one because he saw the camera, but I still love it.
The Rules were that I was supposed to post 25 random facts, interests, habits, or goals about myself. So, here they are:
1. I never usually do these things, but just for fun, I am doing this one
2. I love the way the Lord pursues me and teaches me, even when I'm stubborn and proud and that He never lets go of me, but keeps His promise never to leave me.
3. My dream has always been to be a mommy, ever since I was a little girl. God took me on quite a journey to motherhood, but I'm so blessed with my sweet son Benjamin.
4. I love going to the gym - something about being around other people working out is very motivating to me
5. I love to blast music in my house and dance around like a crazy woman with my son, who for now thinks it's the best thing ever.
6. I used to get spring fever every year when we lived in Indiana and the first warm day of the year I would HAVE to be outside as much as possible to soak in the sunshine. Now that we are in Texas, I get fall fever when it finally gets cool enough to enjoy being outside.
7. My idea of a great vacation is somewhere where there are things to do if we want to, but no pressure to do them if we don't. And where there is a great beach and I have lots of good books to read while I sit on it. I also think a cruise would be fun!
8. When I find something I'm interested in, I do it with everything I've got. Unfortunately this often leads to burnout and I get tired of it and give up - guess I need to work on that.
9. The area that has captured my interest at this time is my family's health. I practically live in the kitchen as I'm experimenting with new things. I'm hoping that healthy eating will become a way for life for us, and not just a whim.
10. This past New Years was only my second time to see the ball drop on TV (last year was my first time), and I'm still wondering what all the fuss is about.
11. I love changes of seasons. There's just something so refreshing about them.
12. I played the piano for 10 years and even started college as a piano major, but I hate performing, so I gave it up. Now I wish we had a piano so I could play sometimes just for fun.
13. I still kind of act like a 5 year old when it comes time for my birthday. I get all excited that it's coming and I love getting spoiled by my hubby.
14. I had a crush on Matt when I first met him when I was 15 and I told God he was the one I wanted to marry. I'm so thankful that God gave me what I asked for.
15. I loved Basketball when I was in in high school and since I was homeschooled in a small town, there were no teams for me to play on, so I started a team in our homeschool group. Being the naive and sheltered children that we were, we decided it would be cool to name our team "The Black Panthers." To this day I cannot believe all of our parents allowed us to put felt letters on our uniforms with that name and then go out a play against other teams.
16. I just love watching Benjamin learn and comprehend the world around him. He just gets so excited about it all.
17. One of the coolest airports I have ever been in was in Abu Dhabi. Royal blue mosaic tiles were all over the walls and it was beautiful.
18. I am terrified of heights. My heart pounds and I start to sweat even when I'm several feet away from the edge of something. However, I love flying. Go figure.
19. I love empty spaces. I love walking into a closet or looking in a drawer and seeing room. Even if something is well organized, I hate when it's filled to capacity with stuff.
20. I really wonder what heaven will be like.
21. One of my favorite things about San Antonio is my church. I'm so thankful for good friends there.
22. Sunsets are one of my favorite things to watch - I never get tired of seeing each one.
23. I'm addicted to reading other people's blogs.
24. Bluebell ice cream is definitely my favorite. I will miss it if we ever move back north.
25. Coming up with 25 things about myself was actually really hard to do and I have wasted way too much time doing it. :)
-Adding chopped spinach or zucchini to our scrambled eggs - this is especially great because Benjamin will eat them without a single complaint. We have also added green peppers and onions before, but since Benjamin usually spits those out, I am really liking the spinach and squash.
- Adding veggies to our rice. Matt found this great recipe for rice that is cooked in the oven with chopped celery, carrots, onions, and cilantro. Delicious and wonderful for you! I have also chopped spinach up very small and thrown it in the rice as soon as it's done so that it's just barely wilted and that was good too.
- veggie sticks to snack on during the day - this is the hardest for me. When I want a snack, the last thing I usually reach for is something like veggies, but carrots and celery dipped in peanut butter makes a great snack and gets in a few more veggies.
- Salad at least once a day - this can be so versatile depending on what you have on hand. Sometimes our salads are just lettuce and cucumbers, but other times we have them with grated carrots, radishes, peppers, avocados, and feta cheese. Yum!
- a side veggie with dinner each night. Along with trying to add veggies to the main dish and having a salad, I usually try to have a side veggie. Sometimes these are simply green beans or broccoli, but this is where I am trying to branch out and have us try something new every once in a while. Interesting vegetables can get expensive, but since we only do something different about once a week, it's not too bad. We tried brussel sprouts last week and they were wonderful. This week we are giving beets a try. We'll see about those. I've never been a fan, but I've also never had them where they weren't pickled out of a can.
So due to my crazy week, I was super tired last night and didn't feel like cooking anything at all. Unfortunately, whenever I get that tired, what I usually want to do is eat pizza and chocolate chip cookies with a huge scoop of ice cream. But since it was not our splurge night, I had to come up with another plan. Breakfast for dinner. Yay for my husband who loves breakfast any time of day. I had tried some pumpkin pancakes a few months back and they were OK, but not something I would make again. But I had this pumpkin in the freezer that was calling to me, so I decided to use my normal pancake recipe and substitute pumpkin for some of the milk. They were SO good! Topped with some chopped pecans, unsweetened whipping cream, and a smidgen of honey (we were out of maple syrup), and I felt like we were having dessert night after all. Of course I also made us some eggs with grated zucchini and chopped spinach and we had salads on the side, but those pancakes sure hit the spot. Wanna Try em?
This recipe is one that I grew up with that I have adapted to be 100% whole wheat. Now I just need to figure out how to soak them without changing their fluffiness and they will be perfectly healthy!
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Griddle Cakes
1 3/4 Cups + 1 heaping Tablespoon Whole Wheat Flour
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
2 Tablespoon Sucanat or Rapadura
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 Cup Milk
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil or melted butter
3/4 Cup Pureed Pumpkin
Mix dry ingredients together. Mix wet ingredients together and stir into dry ingredients just until all is moist. Drop by spoonful onto hot griddle. Serve with butter, unsweetened whipped cream, chopped pecans, honey, peanut butter, or real maple syrup and enjoy!
Friday, January 16, 2009
Here are a few pictures from this past week:
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
This week I will be starting a sour dough starter following the directions given here, as well as trying a new bread recipe that is soaked.
Now on to my other resolutions.
This year in our church is "The Year of the Bible" and we will as a church be reading through the Bible in a year. I have attempted this in the past and usually get bogged down in Numbers and either skip on to Joshua, or stop altogether. But I love accountability and doing it along with our church is just what I need.
I have also set myself a goal to read one Christian non-fiction book a month. One a month doesn't seem like much, but I think it's reasonable for this season of our lives. I am currently reading "A Hunger for God" by John Piper and it's really good. I need to come up with a list of others that I should read. I'd love suggestions on this one. :)
As I've mentioned before, I struggle with taking time to just play with Benjamin. I love spending time with him, but often I get to the end of the day and realize that while I've been with him as he's followed me around the house, I haven't spent time teaching him or playing with him. So my goal is to do this for at least 30 minutes 4 days a week. I'd really like to do more than that, but for now that is my goal. When he gets older, I am truly going to have to be more organized or homeschooling will never work. So I guess I'll start gradually now with the organization.
Well, those are pretty much my big goals for the year. When I look at them, they don't seem like much, but I still like having a few goals to begin the year with.
Friday, January 9, 2009
I struggle with health related goals because I get so excited about a new thing and put my whole being into it only to get tired after a couple of weeks and decide it's not worth the effort. But this year is my fresh start and I really want to stick to the plan. So, here are my goals:
-Cut out refined sugar and flour from our diets completely
-Dessert only once a week made with healthy flours, sweeteners, and fats
-Find ways to include more variety of vegetables in our meals. (get outside the box of carrots, peppers, celery, and lettuce) On this one, we tried eggplant this week and well, I just cannot stand the texture of it, so I will continue my search for other varieties. This will also include learning about what vegetables are in season at particular times in Texas and eating what's in season.
-Learn about cultured veggies and hopefully incorporate them into our regular meals.
-I want to learn more about soaking grains so I can add that step into my baking. I have been making our bread for a while, but currently I purchase WW flour from the store. I would like to do more research on purchasing grain and a mill so I can incorporate different flours into my bread making as well.
-Lastly, this may be a stretch, but I'd love to find a way to get a few fresh eggs and some raw milk so I can begin making our own mayo and yogurt.
This post is part of the Nourishing New Years Resolutions Carnival found on the Nourishing Gourmet website.
I'll try to share some of my spiritual and family related goals in the next few days.
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
OK, well it was actually only 72, which is a little chilly for the sprinkler, but you also know you live in Texas when your grass is dying because of lack of rain and you have to water it on January 2nd. I turned the sprinkler on in the back and proceeded to the front with Benjamin to pull some of the weeds that were taking over our yard. Since we don't have much of a front yard, keeping Benjamin away from the street was a bit of a challenge. So eventually I opened the back gate and let him into the back to play while I finished up. But, I totally forgot about the sprinkler and a few minutes later when I finished and went to the back, there he was, enjoying himself thoroughly. At least it was a warmish day!