Friday, January 23, 2009

Yummy Pancakes

This was an absolutely crazy week. I had to go somewhere every day except today which meant that I was more rushed in getting things done in the kitchen and around the house. On top of that, poor Matt is sick and we have not been sleeping well because of it. Yucky Mountain Cedar! We're pretty sure his sickness was spurred on by the cedar allergies. So he's home early today getting some rest and I just put a pot of chicken and veggies on the stove to make a broth that will hopefully be soothing for him later on.

So due to my crazy week, I was super tired last night and didn't feel like cooking anything at all. Unfortunately, whenever I get that tired, what I usually want to do is eat pizza and chocolate chip cookies with a huge scoop of ice cream. But since it was not our splurge night, I had to come up with another plan. Breakfast for dinner. Yay for my husband who loves breakfast any time of day. I had tried some pumpkin pancakes a few months back and they were OK, but not something I would make again. But I had this pumpkin in the freezer that was calling to me, so I decided to use my normal pancake recipe and substitute pumpkin for some of the milk. They were SO good! Topped with some chopped pecans, unsweetened whipping cream, and a smidgen of honey (we were out of maple syrup), and I felt like we were having dessert night after all. Of course I also made us some eggs with grated zucchini and chopped spinach and we had salads on the side, but those pancakes sure hit the spot. Wanna Try em?

This recipe is one that I grew up with that I have adapted to be 100% whole wheat. Now I just need to figure out how to soak them without changing their fluffiness and they will be perfectly healthy!

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Griddle Cakes

1 3/4 Cups + 1 heaping Tablespoon Whole Wheat Flour
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
2 Tablespoon Sucanat or Rapadura
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 Cup Milk
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil or melted butter
3/4 Cup Pureed Pumpkin

Mix dry ingredients together. Mix wet ingredients together and stir into dry ingredients just until all is moist. Drop by spoonful onto hot griddle. Serve with butter, unsweetened whipped cream, chopped pecans, honey, peanut butter, or real maple syrup and enjoy!

No comments: