Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Resolutions Part 2

Well life has certainly felt busier since I began in earnest to get us eating healthier. At times I feel like I spend all my time in the kitchen. But after a week I am noticing that I have more energy on most days and well, I just feel better knowing that we are eating better. Last week was a fun week of experimentation and along with making regular meals, I made some homemade whole wheat crackers and made yogurt for the first time. Very fun! Benjamin is such a cracker boy, so it's great to have a healthy alternative for him, especially in the church nursery. Oh and I also made an Asian Sesame salad dressing that is amazing.
This week I will be starting a sour dough starter following the directions given here, as well as trying a new bread recipe that is soaked.

Now on to my other resolutions.

This year in our church is "The Year of the Bible" and we will as a church be reading through the Bible in a year. I have attempted this in the past and usually get bogged down in Numbers and either skip on to Joshua, or stop altogether. But I love accountability and doing it along with our church is just what I need.

I have also set myself a goal to read one Christian non-fiction book a month. One a month doesn't seem like much, but I think it's reasonable for this season of our lives. I am currently reading "A Hunger for God" by John Piper and it's really good. I need to come up with a list of others that I should read. I'd love suggestions on this one. :)

As I've mentioned before, I struggle with taking time to just play with Benjamin. I love spending time with him, but often I get to the end of the day and realize that while I've been with him as he's followed me around the house, I haven't spent time teaching him or playing with him. So my goal is to do this for at least 30 minutes 4 days a week. I'd really like to do more than that, but for now that is my goal. When he gets older, I am truly going to have to be more organized or homeschooling will never work. So I guess I'll start gradually now with the organization.

Well, those are pretty much my big goals for the year. When I look at them, they don't seem like much, but I still like having a few goals to begin the year with.

No comments: