Thursday, April 1, 2010

Deliciousness

Well the house is still a wreck and I feel like I spend as much time moving unopened boxes around a room so I can arrange the furniture as I do actually unpacking those boxes, but last night it was time for a real meal. We have eaten out more in the past two weeks than I ever remember doing and when we haven't been eating out, we've been just eating strange assortments of things we have around the house that usually aren't all that great for us. So, last night I wanted a yummy meal that tasted good and was healthy. Not sure why, but ever since going out to Red Lobster with our friends Todd and Elisa before leaving San Antonio and tasting their coconut shrimp, I've been thinking about trying to make a coconut chicken. I finally did it last night and it was yummy! Even Benjamin thought it was good and he informed me all afternoon as I purchased, thawed, and cooked the chicken that he didn't like chicken. And best of all, it's super simple.

Coconut Chicken
1 lb chicken
1 1/4 c dried unsweetened shredded coconut
3 T virgin coconut oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 avocado

Begin by pounding the chicken with a meat tenderizer until it's less than a half inch thick. Then cut it into bite size pieces. Place chicken in a bowl along with coconut and stir until the chicken is evenly mixed with the coconut. Sprinkle on salt and pepper and stir. Melt coconut oil in a skillet. Then place chicken in the skillet and cook on medium until chicken is done and coconut is just starting to brown. Remove from heat and serve with slices of salted avocado.

I served this along with asparagus and quinoa and it was delicious. Unfortunately it was so delicious and we were so hungry that I didn't think to take a picture. So you will just have to take my word on the fact that it looked as pretty as it tasted and try it yourself. :)

No comments: