Wednesday, September 17, 2008

New Recipe


I have been doing a lot of reading lately about healthy eating and it's been pretty inspiring. I love the feeling of putting a healthy meal on the table for my family, so I love finding out more about how to do that. But I also LOVE to bake. We have been having some cooler weather lately and for some reason, that always puts me in the baking mood. So today I decided to make a little treat for Matt to have while he studies tonight. Of course, it will be a treat for me as well. :) I'm calling these the "semi-healthy cookies." I can't really say healthy, because I'm not sure there is such a thing, but for a cookie, they are not too bad.

1/2 c coconut oil - non hydrogenated (or use real butter)
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (again, non-hydrogenated)
1/2 cup sucanat (a more natural sweetener than refined sugar)
1/2 cup honey
1 egg
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1 cup +2 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 t. vanilla
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. sea salt
1/3 c chocolate chips
Mix oil (or butter), peanut butter, and sweeteners together. Add egg. Add oats, coconut, baking cocoa, flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix well. Add vanilla and chocolate chips. Spoon onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 11-13 minutes. Yield: 20-24 cookies. Yummy!

I actually made half of this recipe and just put in half the egg. That's my trick for not eating more cookies than I should. :)

If you try my little experiment cookies, let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Raul and Catie said...

if I could find half those ingredients here, I'd try to make them, too :)

Esther said...

We made the cookies. I'm pretty sure the only thing we did different was that we used normal sugar and sugared coconut, since that all we had. I thought they were good!!! :D